Friday, October 17, 2008

What Ty Cobb Really Wanted


From Christianity Today. The "Georgia Peach" shown tipping his hat.


I had been alerted that Ty Cobb would come, but when I opened the door I was surprised to see an extremely fragile-looking man. It wouldn't be the only surprise of the evening.

He had come to me because of severe gastric pain. In the examining room, I took a medical history, examined his abdomen, and gave him some medicine to quiet his stomach.

"Ty," I said, "you have a number of serious health problems, and you have been under the care of some of the best physicians in the country. Have you been doing what they tell you to do?"

"Naw, they're nothing but a bunch of truss fixers. They don't know what to do for me."

"What do you want them to do?" I asked.

"Get rid of this pain. It's with me all the time."

"I'm not sure I can do any better than they can. Is there something else bothering you?"

He looked at me suspiciously and then a shadow of hopelessness clouded his rugged features. "I've had a hard life but a successful one, and now I'm nearing the end."

"Would you like to tell me about it?" I asked.

For the next hour and a half, Cobb poured out his pain, frustration, and bitterness. When I asked if I could pray with him, Cobb got on his knees. I asked God to help him find peace and for relief from his pain. When Cobb got up, he asked if he could see me again.

The rest is here-

http://www.christianitytoday.com/tc/2001/003/6.37.html

No comments: