Monday, February 1, 2010

Bishop to retire after lackluster tenure


From The Washington Post-

Washington Episcopal Bishop John B. Chane's announcement that he expects to retire in the fall of 2011 wraps up nine years at the helm of a diocese he acknowledged had not grown or prospered during his tenure.

"I call for this election not because of any health reasons, or because I am burned out or bored," Bishop Chane, 65, told about 325 people Saturday at the annual diocesan convention at the Washington Cathedral. "I don't know how any bishop could ever be bored serving this diocese. It's a very lively place.

"I love what I do and I deeply love this diocese. When the time actually comes to turn over the crozier to another, it will be a very emotional time for me."

Saying it was time to elect someone younger "to lead what I consider to be the best and one of the most influential dioceses in the Episcopal Church and the Anglican Communion," he suggested that his successor be elected in June 2011 and be given several months to train under him before he departs in the fall.

More here-

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2010/feb/01/bishop-to-retire-after-lackluster-tenure/?feat=home_headlines

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting how the Washington Post article quotes both the positive and negative statements that Bishop Chane made about his tenure, while this Washington Times article is relentlessly negative.

Bill Ghrist