Friday, July 16, 2010

The Anglican church can't now renege on women bishops


From The BBC-

This weekend I shall be spending many hours with my colleagues on the General Synod of the Church of England debating whether or not the Church should allow women to be bishops.
Personally I am very much in favour of this development, but not because I believe it is a human right for a woman to be a bishop.

I do not believe that any more than I believe that it is a human right for a man to be able to have a baby.

I think women should be bishops because, in Christ, as St Paul puts it in his letter to the Galatians, there is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female.
It was once said to me that St Paul dealt with the first - neither Jew nor Greek - in his own lifetime, ensuring that all people could become Christians.

It took until the nineteenth century for the second, neither slave nor free, to be tackled, and only now are we beginning to heed the gospel imperative for the dignity of women in Christ to be honoured.

More here-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/herefordandworcester/hi/people_and_places/religion_and_ethics/newsid_8828000/8828686.stm

No comments: