Thursday, October 7, 2010

David Bailey / Illness made him follow his gift for music


From This morning's Post-Gazette. David's father has been the Canon Theologian for the diocese for many years.

David Bailey, a Christian musician whose songs reflected his 14-year survival from a cancer that was supposed to kill him long ago, died Saturday in Charlottesville, Va.

He often performed around Pittsburgh, and was the son of the prominent New Testament scholar Kenneth Bailey and his wife, Ethel, of New Wilmington, Lawrence County.

He was 44.

His final concert, given in July, was for the New Wilmington Mission Conference at Westminster College.

"For me, death has sort of become like a friend who walks beside me but is annoying enough that I keep him at a solid arm's length," he told blogger Michael Manning in a 2007 interview.

"Cancer saved my life. It showed me how precious the gift of time is.

"It forced me to overcome some fears and pursue a passion.

"It drove me to want to make a real difference in the world and in other people's lives by sharing hope and to leave a legacy for my children more resounding than a few mementos and a 401(k)."

He grew up in Beirut, Lebanon, where his parents were Presbyterian missionaries. Civil war forced him to finish high school in Germany.

Read more:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10280/1093225-122.stm#ixzz11gHv9Am5

No comments: