Monday, May 14, 2012

Bearden: Sisters will teach you a lesson, all right

From Ann Rodgers via Facebook. Originally from Tampa Bay-


We make decisions every day in life that could have a profound impact on our future.

The one that forever altered my stint on this Earth came on the playground at Our Lady Queen of Martyrs in Birmingham, Mich.

"Let's draw straws to see who will throw the pie in Sister Martin Mary's face," one of my classmates whispered conspiratorially. (A boy, naturally.)

I was in eighth grade, on the brink of being sprung from Catholic school forever. My parents had promised that if I got good grades and stayed out of trouble that final year of school, I could go to the public high school.

No more nuns! No more ugly plaid uniforms! No more daily Mass!

I held up my end of the bargain. And then, on that last day of grade school, with freedom just hours away, I agreed to join the dissidents in this act of rebellion. Only we thought we could pass it off as a humorous send-off. Ha, ha, Sister Martin Mary. You were really tough on us all these years, and we wanted to show our gratitude with this shaving-cream pie.

More here-

http://www2.tbo.com/lifestyles/faith/2012/may/13/banewso1-the-sisters-will-teach-you-a-lesson-all-r-ar-402759/?referer=None&shorturl=http%3A%2F%2Ftbo.ly%2FJrK2G0

No comments: