Sunday, March 23, 2014

Amarillo women move up church ranks through perseverance, faith

From Texas-

While some denominations are still struggling with accepting women in the clergy, three Amarillo church leaders have emerged as examples of the power of perseverance and faith.

But the concept was foreign not that long ago.

“I remember telling my grandmother that I was going to be a priest,” said the Rev. Jo Roberts Mann, rector of St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church. “She assured me that I could do anything that I wanted, but that wasn’t going to be one of them.

“You can not be a priest in the Episcopal Church.”

The paths of Mann; the Rev. Joan Gaines, chaplain of the Spiritual Care Ministry Team at BSA Health System; and Carol Rohane, ruling elder at Westminster Presbyterian Church, have varied, but all are leaders within their denominations.


More here-

http://amarillo.com/news/latest-news/2014-03-22/amarillo-women-move-church-ranks-through-perseverance-faith

No comments: