Saturday, July 12, 2014

Will Jane Hedges be the C of E’s first woman bishop?

From The Telegraph-

Jane Hedges was just 17 when she first felt called by God to be a priest. “I know it sounds odd to say it now,” she recalls, “but it never occurred to me as a girl that I couldn’t be ordained. I’d grown up in the Seventies in an Anglican parish in Portsmouth. I’d been in the choir, I’d been an altar server, and we had a woman deaconess, so it seemed perfectly natural.”

But not, of course, to the rest of the Church of England, which didn’t agree to female ordination until 1993, by which time Hedges had worked in a bank, got a degree, married and started a family. And it has now spent another 20 years debating whether women can be bishops – with a definitive vote, expected at the General Synod in York on Monday, said to be on a knife-edge.


More here-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/10961866/Will-Jane-Hedges-be-the-C-of-Es-first-woman-bishop.html

No comments: