Wednesday, August 20, 2014

IF BAD-ASS NUNS RULED THE WORLD

From Religion Dispatches-

Around 2009 I started spending a lot of time around nuns. I was finishing a thesis for my masters over at NYU and the topic was how Catholic nuns used social media. I started traveling around the country to meet with nuns who blogged and tweeted.

Despite having gone to an all-girls Catholic high school I had just as many stereotypes of Catholic sisters as anyone does. But the nuns I met on the road began to shatter those stereotypes. They weren’t these stuffy, ruler-wielding automatons. They were independent bad-asses. And each of these bad-ass nuns led to another bad-ass nun. I would come back home from some of these trips and share their stories at dinner parties and people were just so surprised. They’d never heard of nuns doing so many amazing things. In fact, they hadn’t heard that much about nuns at all. That’s when I knew there were stories here that needed to be told.


More here-

http://religiondispatches.org/if-bad-ass-nuns-ruled-the-world/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=if-bad-ass-nuns-ruled-the-world


No comments: