Saturday, January 14, 2017

Should we pray for Trump? Anglican leader asks Christians

From Premier UK-

Anglicans in the United States have been challenged over whether they will be praying for US-President elect Donald Trump.

The question was posed by the Presiding Bishop and Primate of the Episcopal Church, Most Rev Michael B Curry who said the recent election was "contentious", with Episcopalians of all political backgrounds holding "deep feelings."

Writing the week before an Inaugural Prayer Service for the Republican at the Washington National Cathedral next Saturday, Bishop Michael responded to his own with the answer:

"Yes! We can and, indeed, I believe we must pray for all who lead in our civic order, nationally and internationally. I pray for the President in part because Jesus Christ is my Saviour and Lord.

"If Jesus is my Lord and the model and guide for my life, his way must be my way, however difficult. And the way prayer for others is a part of how I follow the way of Jesus."

Bishop Curry wrote the principal of praying for our leaders runs "deep" in Biblical traditions, referring to 1 Timothy 2: 1-2 where Paul writes: "I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people - for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.


More here-

https://www.premier.org.uk/News/World/Should-we-pray-for-Trump-Anglican-leader-asks-Christians

No comments: