Thursday, July 27, 2017

My brother was the 'priest with Aids' - here's how he turned a whole community around

From The Telegraph-

We learned that my brother, Rev Simon Bailey, an Anglican priest, was HIV Positive in 1992. It was seven years after he was diagnosed. He had told no-one until then, but he was becoming increasingly ill. Our father, a Baptist minister, had died earlier that year and he told my mother first, just before she was due to visit me in London and so she had the task of telling me. (And we could support each other. Simon, the experienced priest, thought like that.) We’d had our suspicions - my sister, a nurse, had checked out his medications, but it was still devastating news. We sat and wept for hours.

Simon had been diagnosed at the age of 30, just a few weeks before he was due to take up his first post as a vicar in the tough South Yorkshire mining village of Dinnington.

More here-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/family/brother-priest-aids-turned-whole-community-around/

No comments: