Saturday, February 17, 2018

From the Bishop: On the Mass Shooting in Parkland, Fl.

From New Jersey-

Once again, this nation has been visited by great evil:  the evil of a mass school shooting. 17 were killed at Marjorie Douglas Stoneman High School in Parkland, Florida on Ash Wednesday – a day when we “acknowledge our wretchedness.”

16 year-old Carmen Schentrup was among those killed on Wednesday. She was an active member of St. Mary Magdalene Church in Hollywood, Florida where my good friend Mark Sims is Rector. She was also active in Episcopal Youth activities in the wider Church. When I heard the news of Carmen’s death, I texted my condolences to Mark. He responded by text, “Chip, Thank you.  One day this beautiful vibrant girl opens my office door to announce that she had been accepted at UF [University of Florida].  Two days later I’m sitting with the family and the FBI hearing for the first time that she been shot and killed…” It made me cry. Needless to say, all the killings this past Wednesday are devastating.


More here-

http://dioceseofnj.org/blog/2018/02/16/good-news-in-the-garden-state-february-16-2018/

No comments: