Sunday, February 17, 2019

The Silence (and Silencing) of the Clergy

From Clint Schnekloth-

According to my letter of call, my congregation called me to preach and teach. I guess this means I have to commit to saying things within hearing distance of others. 

Additionally, my letter indicates I’m called to do traditional pastor-like stuff: sacraments, worship, pastoral care, encourage others to ministry, etc. 
Then, as if the preaching and teaching weren’t enough, it indicates I’m supposed to speak for justice in behalf of the poor and oppressed, and equip my congregation for witness and service, and guide the people of God in proclaiming God’s love through word and deed.

I fully recognize there is a lot of action in there, lots of loving, ministering, sacramenting, etc. But you know, that letter of call is a lot about speaking and words! My words. The words of those in my congregation. The church is really a word-house. Words make a difference. A seriously huge difference, so much so that the Savior of the world is also referred to in our tradition as the Word.

Given that reality, it’s always amazed me how silent clergy are, and how much the church (writ large) attempts to silence clergy.


More here-

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/clintschnekloth/2019/01/the-silence-and-silencing-of-the-clergy/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=share_bar&fbclid=IwAR2tsZAANTJpjsUfx0ZK88o9p2wAxhDPFR6TRixsd-Lwk4Kw_31nn8C3HcE#HxIfX7mR8Jy18686.01

No comments: