Monday, August 16, 2010

Guest View: Sorry, but I don't prefer to hug


From California-

What is this thing about hugging? All of a sudden I notice that during every hello, goodbye and "how are you?" I am expected to participate in a bone-crushing bear hug from the greeter, whether friend, new acquaintance, or complete stranger.

The liturgy for the Episcopal Church on Sunday mornings includes something called "The Peace." For a long while that lovely moment consisted of greeting those on each side of you with "God be with you" and perhaps a handshake. But nowadays everyone leaps into the aisles and wanders about during this friendly portion of the service, giving enthusiastic hugs to everyone they can grab.

I consider myself an affectionate and loving person. But I don't hug. And that aversion is now looked upon as un-American, un-loving and downright cold.

I guess it is partly because my family was not big on hugs. We saved them for very special occasions. There is a photo in my wedding album of my father wrapping me in his arms just before I left in my "going-away suit" for my honeymoon. And I cherish that. But we did not greet each member of the family every single day with an embrace. Pats and shoulder squeezes were more our rituals.

Someone recently quoted research that claims a person needs 12 hugs a day to thrive. Sorry, but I doubt that. I just can't picture prehistoric people exchanging hugs every time they returned to their cave. I don't think the hug gene is in our DNA.

And don't get me started about kissing!

Read more:

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/opinions/ci_15786572#ixzz0wlcnBtzm

No comments: