Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Having lived through hell I hope true light is now about to shine

From The Telegraph-

WHEN I saw Prime Minister Julia Gillard on TV announcing there would be a royal commission into child abuse in churches and other institutions I was overwhelmed.

I wept uncontrollably. I became breathless. I walked the floor struggling to breathe, trying to comprehend what I had heard.

It was later I realised it was about time the truth was revealed, perhaps it was time for hope and happiness, not sadness.

I lived in the Church of England North Coast Children's Home in Lismore from 1949 to 1964. Most of those years were full of hatred, bloody brutal floggings, bashings, starvation and sexual abuse. It was a home of hell and fury.

In the time I was there more than 200 innocent children were verbally, physically and sexually assaulted. Fear ruled our lives.

Children were abused, many savagely beaten by the matron, staff and Anglican clergy using belts, electric cords, pony whips and small flexible branches which at times we were ordered to fetch from the backyard.

Unable to do anything, I stood helplessly and watched in fear.

I also watched helplessly as my little mates were violently beaten, screamed at and dragged by the hair to their beds.


More here-

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/opinion/having-lived-through-hell-i-hope-true-light-is-now-about-to-shine/story-e6frezz0-1226516861720

No comments: