Monday, June 19, 2017

The sermon is not dead. And it mustn't be allowed to die

From Christian Today-

Let's play a word association game: what do you think of when you read the word 'sermon'? I'd hazard a guess there are some negative images and feelings in the mix. Boredom. Frustration. Being lectured at. Being talked down to. Doodling on the notice sheet. Thinking about lunch and finding your tummy is rumbling loudly.

Preaching might have an image problem, but does the problem run deeper? Is it time to rethink the entire concept?


I was interested by a Twitter thread from @SkyeJethani on June 7 and the resulting conversation. His argument was that Bible teaching worked back in the day because demand was high and supply low. With the reverse now true, he says: 'Rather than asking, "Are people coming to hear me talk on Sunday?" we should ask, "How can I best utilize ALL of the tools available to me to help people become disciples, including beyond my church programs?"'

More here-

https://www.christiantoday.com/article/the.sermon.is.not.dead.and.it.mustnt.be.allowed.to.die/110059.htm

No comments: