Thursday, October 4, 2018

Abu Dhabi church pays tribute to Zayed on 50th anniversary

From Abu-Dhabi-

An oasis of peace, a refuge, a home away from home, an institution for life: St. Andrew's Church has been all of this and more to the Abu Dhabi Christian community, its long-time members recalled as the Anglican church celebrated its 50th anniversary on Wednesday.

Jose Bernado Gomes, 62, who worked as a parish clerk for 32 years from 1980 to 2012 at the church, said he was "beyond happy."

"It is a very special moment for me. This church has been my life and existence since I arrived in the UAE in 1979," Gomes told Khaleej Times. He left the UAE in 2012, but was specially invited by the church for the anniversary ceremony.

"I used to work in the church when it was on the corniche first, and then moved to this new building in Muroor. I used to do everything from running errands to taking care of the paper work. Today, I see a lot of old faces. It is like a homecoming to me," said Gomes, who is married with three grown-up children. He currently lives in Goa, India, with his family.

More here-

No comments: