Friday, November 2, 2018

Sex conviction comes back to haunt ex-priest David Norton at trial

From London-

Disgraced ex-cleric David Norton said he would never engage in sexual activities with a little boy, and certainly not the altar boys at Chippewas of the Thames First Nation.

“It isn’t the sort of thing I would ever do,” he said during testimony in his own defence at his trial on five historic sex-related charges.

But, the problem, the Crown pointed out, is Norton did.

After his defence lawyer Lakin Afolabi successfully argued Norton’s guilty plea earlier this year to abusing a London boy at St. Mark’s church in 1990s shouldn’t be treated as similar-fact evidence at his trial this week, Norton opened the door for assistant Crown attorney Chris Heron to ask him about that very thing.

It was a colossal blunder in the witness box. With each question from Heron after that moment, it was as if Norton had taken up a shovel to dig a deeper hole for himself.

More here-

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/sex-conviction-comes-back-to-haunt-ex-priest

No comments: