Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Good stuff: TEC- Youth - Guatemala

We hear a lot about the problems in the Diocese of Pennsylvania. Here's a bright spot. The youth of the diocese have been doing work in Guatemala. From the diocesan web site.

Experiencing God in a Whole New Way in Guatemala
by Charlotte Abbott, A Youth Council Representative, Church of the Redeemer in Bryn Mawr

In the Stations of the Cross as Jesus’ life on earth comes to an end, a question is raised, “Is my soul worth this much?” Ever since I was a little girl, I was told of the extraordinary things God has done for me, and the same question has plagued my mind. Is my soul worth this much? I think a huge part of having faith in God and all God’s gifts, is realizing your own self-worth.

On the very first day of July, I traveled to Guatemala on a diocese mission trip with 18 other peers, and 7 adults, including the Bishop. Once we arrived, we were joined by a group of loving, spirited young people from different parts of Guatemala. Together we visited one of the few schools in Guatemala City. Whether we were painting a mural on their walls or just playing with them, I began to realize that I was capable of making a difference. This experience was one that I will surely remember for the rest of my life. Not only did I learn so much about a culture completely different from my own, but I was able to experience God in a whole new way.

One Saturday morning our group crammed under a makeshift awning. Then, sitting side by side with a Mayan tribe, we shared communion. I saw that morning first hand the amazing things God does for us. I am privileged to live in the conditions that I do. I have an incredible education, family and my future is filled with opportunity. As we were introduced to our Guatemalan friends that shared the first week with us in our travels, we were given the opportunity to talk about what we saw in our futures. One youth had said that God would support her in what she chose to do, and if he did not then she would move on to the next thing. She does not have the opportunities that I have, yet her faith is so strong that even in a place so full of violence and poverty she is hopeful. God has given me so many gifts to make it possible for me to live up to my full potential and make a difference. Throughout my travels in Guatemala I began to see my potential ability to use my gifts to serve others. I have begun to appreciate the value of the human soul for which Jesus has sacrificed his life.

You can see all of the Good Stuff posts by typing "Good Stuff" into the blog's search engine.

No comments: