Thursday, September 11, 2008

Special Day Today: Flight 93 Memorial

On September 11, 2001, United 93 flew low and directly over St. Michael's (my parish) before crashing minutes later in Shanksville PA. I drove out to the site and was waved through the police barrier before the perimeter was secured. I met my friend and fellow priest Bill Haslett there and eventually we were admitted to the site itself. I can remember being amazed at what a small hole that plane made. The impact crater was extraordinarily tiny. In fact the original reports were that a small plane went down. We helped deliver supplies to the (what were then called) rescue workers and left late in the afternoon. Last year I was interviewed for the flight 93 oral history project. This year I have been asked to be among those who read the names of the brave men and women who died. The memorial service takes place at the crash site. An amazing honor. Family members will be present. I will be paired with Yachiyo Kuge, mother of Toshiya Kuge, the second youngest passenger on the plane. I'll update you later on how it went. The picture is from the day of the crash and appeared in a number of newspapers.

2 comments:

Diane said...

I pray God's blessings on you and all others involved in the remembrances services today.

James said...

And Many uf us remember Mark Bingham on this day, a hero of Flight 93. Requiescat in Pace, Mark.