Saturday, December 18, 2010

New Film Explores Challenges Faced By Religious Leaders


From NPR-

This is TELL ME MORE from NPR News. I'm Michel Martin.

We'll hear what stories caught your ear this week in our Backtalk segment. That's just ahead.

But, first, Faith Matters. That's where we talk about matters of faith and spirituality. And today we want to talk about the people most people rely upon, even in this increasingly secular country to sanctify marriages, welcome children and memorialize those who've passed away. They are faith leaders, members of the clergy. And it's a job that can have them on call 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year.

And usually, despite what you may have seen and heard about the various scandals, for pretty modest pay. How do you get there, though? How does it happen that people choose this way of life? A new two-part documentary that premieres on PBS on Monday night tells the story of seven young people, both men and women, and how they found and pursued their calling. It is called "The Calling." It's part of the PBS series "Independent Lens."

Joining us to talk more about it executive producer Daniel Alpert. Also with us is one of the seven people profiled in the film. She is Jeneen Robinson, a newly ordained minister in Los Angeles for the African Methodist Episcopal Church. Thank you both so much for joining us.

Ms. JENEEN ROBINSON (Minister, African Methodist Episcopal Church, Los Angeles): Thank you, Michel.

Mr. DANIEL ALPERT (Executive Producer, "The Calling"): Thanks for having us.

MARTIN: So, Daniel, I have to ask you, first, what drew you to this story?

Mr. ALPERT: Well, I think my history with this project goes back a long, long way. When I was a young man, I did consider becoming a rabbi. I woke up about four months before I was to enter a pre-rabbinical program, sitting up - I don't know if this has ever happened to you before - you actually open your eyes, you're sitting up, realizing that that wasn't the path for me. But it certainly always left me with that what if question.

More here-

http://www.npr.org/2010/12/17/132139277/New-Film-Explores-Challenges-Faced-By-Religious-Leaders

No comments: