Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Trump and EQB: an open letter

From Sewanee-

Behold how good and how pleasant it is when brothers (and sisters) dwell together in unity. I don’t have to remind you that phrase comes directly from Psalm 133:1 of the Holy Bible. You know that. I don’t have to tell you that “Ecce quam bonum” is the motto of the University of the South. You already know that, too. Therefore, this open letter will be confined to The Sewanee Purple and its readers. This will not be published any place else. It is a very personal matter, and I promise to treat it accordingly.

I love Sewanee. I truly do. It is a beautiful place filled with wonderful people. That’s not just some clever catchphrase I say to impress folks in my travels. That’s actually how I feel about the University of the South. And that last statement is why I, a current seminarian at the Sewanee School of Theology, have been disappointed nearly to the point of speechlessness at some of the behaviors I have seen and heard about over the past couple of weeks or so.

The 2016 presidential campaign was a long, bitterly-contested, emotional, insult-filled, vision-challenged, political deathmatch between Secretary Hillary Rodham Clinton and billionaire businessman Donald J. Trump. While both candidates had many supporters in the Sewanee community, Trump won the General Election on November 8th. And that, friends, is when the so-called Trump effect began on our mountain.


More here-

https://thesewaneepurple.org/2016/12/12/trump-and-eqb-an-open-letter/

No comments: