Monday, May 15, 2017

‘THEOLOGICAL’ THEOLOGY AND MINISTERIAL TRAINING

From The Living Church-

This academic year, in preparation for ordained ministry, I have been studying at General Theological Seminary. As I anticipate ordination, I have been reflecting on my experience of formal theological education over the last thirteen years, and thinking what it will come to mean in ministry.

The purpose of theological education is not obvious. While some academic institutions and most churchly ones continue to offer ostensibly theological education, many of the Church’s members and clergy nevertheless do not acknowledge that theology has much of a purpose. A few days ago, a priest whom I had just met congratulated me for studying at GTS, which, she alleged, thankfully prepares “worker priests” rather than “scholar priests.”


More here-

http://livingchurch.org/covenant/2017/05/15/theological-theology-and-ministerial-training/?platform=hootsuite

No comments: