Thursday, October 5, 2017

Redeeming the Bible From American Evangelicalism

From Patheos-

We go to an Anglican church now. Every Sunday, worship is infused with the words of the Bible, with singing, with teaching and listening.

And lately, it’s become apparent to me that I’ve really been avoiding the Bible, this book that stood at the front of everything my entire childhood.

In college and in the years following, the images given to me of God, of Jesus, of the Bible, crumbled along with the patriarchal lens through which I saw them.

And so, I’ve avoided the words of the Bible.

I’ve been confused by them.

Often, I no longer trust them, because they leave the aftertaste of patriarchy.

They leave the aftertaste of a colonized faith, one that I grew up in and am now slowly trying to disconnect from. I was the worship leader for the FCA. I was at every True Love Waits Rally, every retreat.


Read more at

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/kaitlinbcurtice/2017/10/04/redeeming-bible-american-evangelicalism/#e5ViBVrcobMaucWA.99

No comments: