Saturday, May 6, 2017

Hungry, scared South Sudanese stay in cathedral compound for protection

From NCR-

The Rev. Bang Akuei Nyuol, an Anglican who serves as regional director for the South Sudan Council of Churches, said government officials did try to mitigate the violence by mounting a campaign for civilians to turn in weapons. Yet the same day it convinced a group of cattle keepers to hand over their assault rifles, a large number of cattle were stolen from them. In the wake of the cattle raid, few listened to the government's appeal to disarm.

And so the displaced wait.

"I'm a university graduate, but I've been sitting in this camp for almost a year," said William George, a resident of the cathedral camp. "This morning I didn't eat anything. Nor did my children. If I had $100, I'd leave for Egypt or somewhere else, anywhere other than here. My house was burned and all my things taken. There's no future here because there's no accountability. They can kill someone and there's no response, no judgment."

Father Moses Peter, the diocesan emergency coordinator, said the victims of the violence trust the clergy to protect them.


More here-

https://www.ncronline.org/news/world/hungry-scared-south-sudanese-stay-cathedral-compound-protection

No comments: