Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Bishop Mark Lawrence Interviewed by PBS

The Bishop of South Carolina was interviewed by Religion and Ethics Weekly while at Lambeth. The Text can be found at the link below.

Q: A group here within the church has recommended that the moratorium continues and be enforced against a blessing for same-sex relationships, against gay bishops, against the cross-jurisdictional relationships. What is your reaction to these recommendations?

A: Well, I'd say this: that the Anglican Communion is in a process of trying to understand how we live in a global age. … Some of us have come to the conclusion we need some kind of covenant by which we can say this is who we are, this is how we shall live together, this is how we should treat one another. There are limits to Anglican diversity, and these are now what they are.

Q: Is that a good idea?

A: It's a wonderful idea, because this Communion is too important in an age of globalism, in a global church, not to be able to live together with respect, with trust, and with cooperation.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/religionandethics/week1148/interview_lawrence.html

1 comment:

the Reverend boy said...

Bishop Lawrence is a bit of an enigma to me, no doubt in part because I am seeing him through the lens of how the consents of his consecration played out!

I will say, however, that as a gay man, and a convener of an Integrity chapter, that this is someone I am happy (and dare I say proud!) that he and I are part of the same family of God. I obviously do not agree with him on a few things, but I sense the faithfulness of his convictions. South Carolina has done well in calling him.