Sunday, January 13, 2013

Why St. Nicholas Church had to go

From Pittsburgh-

My ancestors came to this country from Eastern Europe. They settled in Ambridge. Both of my Slovak grandparents, my Baba and Dzedo, emigrated from Czechoslovakia. My Polish grandfather, my Dzadza, emigrated and met my grandmother, who was born in Everson, Pa. They married. Alongside other Polish faithful, they built St. Stanislaus Church, rectory, convent and school.

At St. Stanislaus, I was baptized, made my first confession, received my first Holy Communion and was confirmed. I celebrated my first Mass as a newly ordained priest there. My paternal grandparents were laid to their eternal rest from that church. Many wonderful memories of God's grace are contained within that building for me and for many.

I also celebrated the final Mass of St. Stanislaus Parish in 1994. Because of the significant changes in Ambridge over the years, the building that was the home of my parish no longer functions as a Catholic church. But the memories are forever in my heart.

I do understand the love and devotion that we have for our churches. I do understand the pain and profound sense of loss that is being felt by those who loved the old St. Nicholas Church building on East Ohio Street. But in recent years, a thought had kept me awake at night. What if that old building collapsed onto Route 28 and killed a couple of drivers during rush hour before it could be torn down safely?

Read more: 

No comments: