Thursday, September 12, 2013

Richard Dawkins admits he is a 'cultural Anglican'

From The Telegraph-

The evolutionary biologist was speaking before the launch of his new book which explains his passion for education and how he fears the profession has become dominated by a ‘box ticking mentality.’

Prof Dawkins admitted he would consider going into a church, and would miss ‘aesthetic elements’ such as church bells if they were gone. And he said he was “grateful” to Anglicanism which he claims has a “benign tolerance” - enabling people to enjoy its traditions without necessarily believing in them.


He told the Spectator: “I sort of suspect that many who profess Anglicanism probably don’t believe any of it at all in any case but vaguely enjoy, as I do… I suppose I’m a cultural Anglican and I see evensong in a country church through much the same eyes as I see a village cricket match on the village green.


More here-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/10303223/Richard-Dawkins-admits-he-is-a-cultural-Anglican.html

No comments: