Saturday, March 4, 2017

Millennials haven’t forgotten spirituality, they’re just looking for new venues

From PBS-

JUDY WOODRUFF: Finally, as the world’s Christians begin Lent, a six-week period of introspection in preparation for Easter, reflections from Casper ter Kuile, a researcher at Harvard University, who shares his humble opinion on the soul survival happening outside America’s churches.

CASPER TER KUILE, Harvard University: I grew up never going to church.

And as a 30-year-old married man, I still don’t, not because I don’t value reflection, community, even the experience of the divine. I do. But traditional religious congregations don’t appeal to me. And I’m not alone.

Millennials are turning away from religion faster than any other age group. And according to the Pew Research Center, more than a third of Americans between 18 and 35 are now unaffiliated, meaning, when asked on a survey what religious identity they hold, they answer none of the above.


More here-

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/millennials-havent-forgotten-spirituality-theyre-just-looking-new-venues/#.WLqAsshzwXQ.facebook

No comments: