Monday, June 5, 2017

THE SOUND AND THE SPIRIT

From The Living Church-

I was recently at a hilltop Ascension Day picnic with some friends from church in advance of the 7 p.m. Mass, and one of the older children (middle school–aged) was having trouble recalling where the Ascension story was told. We had read it aloud from the book of Acts. “But,” he said, “I think it’s also at the end of Luke.”

“That’s right,” I piped up. “Hey J., why do you think Luke tells the Ascension story twice?”

He responded that it probably had something to do with the centrality of the Resurrection for our lives — which was an impressive response. He then asked me why I thought Luke told it twice, and I said something about Luke wanting to begin his second volume where he left off (“last time on Luke-Acts”). The real answer, which I should have given, is that it has everything to do with 40 days, which has everything to do with Pentecost.

So, here’s the answer that I should have given on the hilltop.


More here-

http://livingchurch.org/covenant/2017/06/05/the-sound-and-the-spirit/

No comments: