Friday, May 31, 2013

Archbishop of York reveals his battle with prostate cancer

From England-

The Archbishop of York is suffering from an advanced form of prostate cancer, he disclosed yesterday.

Dr John Sentamu, 63, said he had undergone surgery, adding: ‘I will be out of action for some time.’
His absence from the ruling councils of the Church of England means the new Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Justin Welby, will be without the support of the number two in the Church’s hierarchy at a crucial time.


The Anglican hierarchy is currently trying to negotiate its way through deep turmoil over same-sex marriage law and its leaders’ efforts to secure the promotion of women bishops.
It was not previously known that the archbishop had cancer.


In a statement, Dr Sentamu said: ‘I am thankful and grateful for Mr Bill Cross, and his surgical team at St James’s Hospital, Leeds, who today operated on me for a locally-advanced cancer of the prostate.


‘I am also grateful to the nursing staff who are caring from me. I am thankful, too, for all of you who regularly pray for me and support me, especially my staff at Bishopthorpe Palace.

Read more:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2333664/Archbishop-York-reveals-battle-prostate-cancer.html#ixzz2UrqjFju5

No comments: