Monday, April 13, 2009

Take me out to the ball game


There is a segment of the sporting public that believes if you go to Pirates game you’re some kind of ninny, who is only attracted by bobbleheads and fireworks. That’s nonsense and a ridiculous generalization.

Yes, bobbleheads and fireworks attract people to PNC Park. That doesn’t mean everyone who shows up is interested in sideshows and not baseball.

I haven’t done all the necessary homework, but I’m guessing most, if not all, of the teams in MLB use the same or similar promotions to attract fans.

I also believe that before the days of regular sellouts, the hard-core, tough guy Penguins crowd was attracted to Mellon Arena by bobbleheads.

There’s nothing wrong with bobbleheads and there’s nothing wrong with going to baseball games in Pittsburgh.

As another baseball season opens in Pittsburgh today, allow me to reflect, as I have before in the Post-Gazette sports pages, on why I enjoy going to PNC Park, both as a journalist, who gets in for free, and as a fan, who pays for his ticket.

more-

http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs/bobsmizik/archive/2009/04/13/take-me-out-to-the-ball-game.aspx

No comments: