Thursday, July 3, 2008

John Adams Reflects on His Life


This morning I received an e-mail from a dear friend of 26 years who had just finished reading David McCullough's award winning book on John Adams. He was struck by something Adams wrote near the end of his life. Since so many who want to realign keep drawing parallels to the events in this country in 1776 and its almost the 4th of July (Adams died on July 4th on the fiftieth anniversary of the Declaration of Independence and just hours after Jefferson had died) I thought it was appropriate to post.

“ The longer I live, the more I read, the more patiently I think, and the more anxiously I inquire, the less I seem to know…Do justly. Love mercy. Walk humbly. This is enough…”
(McCullough, John Adams, 2001, p. 650)

Wisdom gained from a long life well lived and from God.

1 comment:

Zach said...

Micah 6:8

...i like it.