Saturday, July 12, 2008

John Howe "A More Excellent Way" in Vero Beach

Bishop John Howe (Central Florida) is an unabashed conservative who is committed to staying in the Episcopal Church. (I have know John since I was a teenager and he was one of the assistant rectors at St. Stephens Sewickley). John has endeavored to honor those who cannot stay in The Episcopal Church, while remaining faithful to his vows and the canons of the church.
Just before Paul writes the "great love chapter" of the Bible (which we know as I Corinthians 13) he writes the following: "But earnestly seek the higher gifts and I will show you a more excellent way". I think the way in which Bishop Howe is handeling the current controveries of the Episcopal Church is a more excellent way forward.

A story from the Central Florida web site can be found here -

http://centralflorida.anglican.org/news/news08/0708vero.htm

1 comment:

Celinda Scott said...

Thanks for the article about Bp. John Howe. I heard an excellent series of talks by him on the Gifts of the Holy Spirit in Orlando for the AFP a few years ago,and he is now chaplain of Daughters of the King. Conservative leaders like him who remain in TEC take a lot of criticism today from their colleagues who have left, having given up on being listened to by TEC leadership. I admire him for his courage and his steadfastness.