Sunday, September 14, 2008

Report on the Across the Aisle Public meeting

The Post-Gazette reports on the Across the Aisle meeting on Saturday and developments in the possibility of the Bishop's deposition this week.

The Rev. Simons spoke yesterday at St. Paul Episcopal Church in Mt. Lebanon before a standing-room only gathering of 325 Episcopalians who want to remain in the Episcopal Church. The meeting of Across the Aisle dealt with how the diocese will be reorganized within the Episcopal Church if the majority of clergy and members realign with the Southern Cone.

The meeting of Across the Aisle, which drew about twice the attendance that organizers had expected, was largely without rancor. It was an effort to reach beyond the liberal minority in the diocese to the moderate-to-conservative majority.


The Rev. Jeffrey Murph, rector of St. Thomas, Oakmont, spoke from that perspective, saying that although he was aware of deep imperfections in the Episcopal Church, that sin prevents all churches from being perfect. He also noted that the many Episcopal parishes that have left so far have realigned with myriad Anglican provinces and organizations scattered across four continents.


"Is it possible that the Holy Spirit could be fragmenting the Episcopal Church into all these shards?" he asked.


http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08258/912112-85.stm

4 comments:

Marilyn Clifton Chislaghi said...

I consider Father Murph a very good friend, but would answer his question with a 'yes'. Perhaps a great 'taking apart' must happen for a new work of God to emerge. We have plenty of biblical precedent for that.

Having said that, as someone who supports realignment, I was glad to be at your meeting. I was pleasantly surprised by the feeling that I had when I left: Perhaps we can avoid a legal bloodbath post-realignment and settle matters through negotiations, rather than in court. Tom Moore's call to forgiveness and renewed relationship was powerful.

All morning I felt overwhelmingly sad for Bishop Duncan. I was sad that the women sitting behind me were nothing short of slanderous in their comments about him. The man I know is not the same as the image of the man many gathered at the meeting hold. I hope that over time reconciliation with him might also occur, particularly with several clergy there present. Absent forgiveness I cannot imagine much flourishing will happen, however much you or I desire it.

Bruce Robison said...

Dear Marilyn,

Thank you for coming to the meeting yesterday. It was good to see you--and I was glad that my friends Jonathan and Andrew were both willing to speak and to raise the issues they did. My own sense, re: your comment, is that Jeff was right, but that so are you. I believe both those of us who realign and those of us who remain in the Episcopal Church sit under judgment in all this (as in all things), but that both groups as well now have the invitation to repent and to give ourselves as completely as we can, to honor our Lord Jesus and to be signs of his grace and power. There will need to be oceans of forgiveness. But fortunately for us, there are plenty of opportunities, and will be, for that forgiveness to take place. On all sides. (Give Charlie my and Susy's love, and see you soon!)

BruceR

Marilyn Clifton Chislaghi said...

Thank you Bruce. Let me say 'Amen' to your pastoral admonition, or as my Charlie would say, 'Preach it brother!'. Cheers!

Robert Christian said...

I just wonder who's entitled to the property and stuff? What will happen to folks wanted to stay with TEC who are in parishes that vote to realign? (some who are elderly and would find it a hardship to travel elsewhere).

As to Jonathan Millards comments at several meetings "just let us go," I'm happy to say go. When my father left the Roman Catholic Church he didn't ask for a refund or a few bricks from the building. When he left, he left with nothing.

Marilyn:

There is a lot of hurt. What I find hard to get past is that by leaving TEC realigners are saying, "we can no longer come to the Lord's table with you (Reappraisers)." I know that there are people who I've known all my life who will vote to realign. Some of these people changed my diaper. Now, I can't help but feel that by voting to realign they're telling me I'm somehow not as "holy," or that I'm unclean. I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Maybe this is what children feel like when their parents get a divorce?