Monday, October 6, 2008

Bruce Robison Writes a Pastoral to His Parish


The afternoon of the convention Bruce sent me his wonderful pastoral response to what had happened. He now has it posted on his blog.

I would also note that the leadership of the Episcopal Church and the Presiding Bishop have been engaged, supportive, and respectful in their work with us thus far, and they have promised their continuing support as we make the decisions locally that will reconstitute the orderly life of our diocese.

As of Monday morning there will be a new office, mailing address, and phone number for the Episcopal Diocese of Pittsburgh, and the "Across the Aisle" website will soon become our official diocesan website. You may wish to click on that link and bookmark the URL for future reference. There is information on the site now that may answer many of our questions about how the reorganization will take place. An important feature, on the "front page" of the site, is a letter from the Rev. Jim Simons, Rector of St. Michael of the Valley Church in Ligonier. As a member of our diocesan Standing Committee Jim will have a key leadership role in the coming days, as the diocese begins to reorganize according to our continuing Constitution and Canons.

http://revbmrobison.blogspot.com/2008/10/pastoral-note-following-convention.html

1 comment:

Robert Christian said...

I read Bruce's+ response and found some comfort in it. I can't imagine how it must be you who voted to stay even as former friends and colleagues voted to leave.

I can't help but think that my faith, what I believe was somehow put on trial at convention and deemed lacking, substandard, not worthy to be at the same table, unpure. I watched my former rector and member of the standing committee along with the parish deputies vote to leave. It's a painful experience when friends condemn your faith as not worthy (and thats exactly what I and others are feeling).

Another painful moment was realizing that my former parishes retired rector and family friend of 30 years, the man who came to visit at our house, who worked with me in learning the music and encouraged me in church music was voting to leave. We did have a good talk prior to the vote.
He knew how I was going to vote and I also know he was proud that I was taking that stance.

It was a sad day for many. Lot's of healing needs to take place.