Friday, October 31, 2008

Hearing the Chief Rabbi speak recently, I found myself wishing my own church had someone like him at the top

From the Guardian-

I am an Anglican. (Have you noticed, incidentally, how members of the Church of England refer to themselves with that specific term rather than as "a Christian" – too preachy, too smug – or "a Protestant" – too tub thumping. Enoch Powell described himself as an Anglican but refused to describe himself as a Christian saying "that was for others to judge".)

Despite being an Anglican I don't regard believing in God as an easy or straightforward matter. Believing in miracles is challenging. Even when they are well-documented, for instance the resurrection of Christ, for which there were hundred of witnesses. I'm not sure that I find much help from Dr Rowan Williams, Archbishop of Canterbury, in nurturing my faith.

But what really brought home to me the deficiencies of Williams was nothing he did, but a talk I went along to hear recently by the Chief Rabbi, Sir Jonathan Sacks, hosted by the Royal Fine Art Commission Trust. Previously I had only heard him over the airwaves while sitting in the bath when he came up in the rota to do Thought for the Day. Hearing him give a full lecture was an altogether different matter. He's a tremendously powerful orator whose authority came not from trickery but clear thinking.

The rest is here-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/belief/2008/oct/30/judaism-anglicanism-rabbi-jonathan-sacks

No comments: