Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Good Stuf in TEC: Oregon


He's hired hundreds, now let him help you find work

One day, while sitting inside St. Aidan’s Episcopal Church in northeast Portland, George DeWitz was listening to people complain about the economy when he got an idea.

“I’m listening to what is being said, and nobody is doing anything about it,” said DeWitz, who will turn 82 this month. “They’re talking the talk, but they’re not walking the walk.”

With his job-training background, he knew he could - and should - do something.

"I have this experience and know-how, and I know how to make it work," he said. "I’ve hired people. I’ve trained people. I’ve been a very fortunate person. I’ve made my life very comfortable financially, so I thought, 'Well, you’ve got to do it.' "

What DeWitz did was design a seminar for people looking for work. The seminar, which is free and ongoing, will start Thursday, May 21, at the church, where he has been a member for 20 years.

The seminar will include information on how to look at the hiring process from the employer’s point of view, which DeWitz knows a lot about.

During his 40-year career, he owned an ad agency, two radio stations (KRDR, a country western station in Gresham, and KAAR, an FM country music station in Yakima, Wash.), trained potential job hunters and hired about 600 people.

The rest-

http://www.komonews.com/economy/45370377.html

No comments: