Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Why does the Church of England recycle its sermons?


From The London Telegraph-

Before I go any further, I had better point out that I am fully aware that it’s a bit rich of me to criticise clergy for recycling sermons when I referred to their obsession with all things ecological in my last column for the Church of England Newspaper. But I can guarantee I won't do it again, whereas I doubt they could make the same promise.

Anyway, as I was saying, if you look at the website that lists all the press releases put out by Church House during 2009, the words climate (nine times) and environment (eight) crop up more times than God (six), Bible (four) or Jesus (two).

If they're not ordering you to count your carbon or urging you to pray for the planet, they're telling you much more than you ever wanted to know about compost toilets.
But why? I'm not suggesting that global warming isn't happening or that it isn't a good idea to consume less, I just don't believe these things should be the primary concern of our established church.

I first remember reading about threats to the environment 20 years ago in a junior version of The Independent and it's instructive to remember how different things were in those days - CFCs in fridges were burning a hole in the ozone layer, everyone put four-star petrol in their cars and you had to drive to a supermarket to find a bottle bank.

More here-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/debates/6308651/Why-does-the-Church-of-England-recycle-its-sermons.html

No comments: