Saturday, November 27, 2010

An officer and a clergyman: Police chaplain pounds a religious beat


From Albany-

Paul M. Carney: Troy police officer for nearly 35 years currently assigned to City Court, a deacon at St. John's Episcopal Church and a chaplain at Samaritan Hospital and for the city police department.

Background: Carney, 55, was reared in South Troy, where he attended St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church. He is a graduate of Catholic Central High School and Hudson Valley Community College. He's collected toy trains, been a ham radio operator and has flown kites since he was a boy. He and his wife, Marilyn, live in North Greenbush and have two adult children.

Why did you become a police officer?

I wanted to help people. I did consider becoming a priest. That was in my teen years, but I liked dating. My three sisters worked in the rectory. Had I known the Episcopal Church, I probably would be looking at 35 years as a priest.

What led you to the Episcopal Church?

A bagel and a cup of coffee at Bruegger's on Congress Street, where I encountered the Rev. Hap Carrier, pastor of St. John's. He was my religion instructor in high school. I was dissatisfied with the Catholic Church, and Carney stood in the back of St. John's during work breaks on Sunday listening to the services. My wife and I found the congregation friendly and welcoming, so we joined.

More here-

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/An-officer-and-a-clergyman-Police-chaplain-834869.php

No comments: