Thursday, December 23, 2010

Santa might be a plumber


From Virginia-

NOT ALL the gifts for this year are lying under the Christmas tree.

Some of them are delivered at the most unpredictable times--when water is spouting out of the pantry wall or when a peach pit shuts down the dishwasher.

It's at those times when our friend, teacher, hero and, oh, yes, plumber--W.D. Williamson--arrives on the scene. Whether it's the middle of the night or the middle of the morning, W.D. always finds a way to help us out.

My guess is that most people have W.D.s in their lives. You know who they are: the selfless folks who remind us that friendship and kindness are the greatest gifts of all. They're the ones I'll be thinking about tomorrow night as I take in the beauty of our Christmas tree (actually, a living orange tree, with lights).

Here are just a few of the other "gifts" I'm putting on my thank-you list for this Christmas:

Jim Dannals and Gay Rahn, the clergy at St. George's Episcopal Church, who demonstrate every week how joyous the life of faith can be.

Capt. Catie Hanft, Capt. Michael Smith and their staffs, who have opened doors for me to tell the story of my beloved boyhood home--the Dahlgren Navy base.

More here-

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2010/122010/12232010/595153

No comments: