Saturday, February 25, 2012

21st-century Lent: This year’s sacrifices include Walmart.


From Alabama-

The idea had been percolating in her mind for more than a year. For the past three years, Jim Ellis Fisher has gone on mission trips to Dominican Republic.

“I noticed that I had more stuff packed in my suitcase for a week than some of the people working in these villages had in their entire home,” she said.

Fisher’s decision was cemented when she recently attended a lecture series at her church, Grace Episcopal in Anniston. The series focused on simpler living and compassionate living.

“One of the things that really hit me between the eyes was the idea that everything I have is taking away from someone else,” she said. “My life is filled with things that other people could use.”

With the season of Lent having begun this week on Ash Wednesday, Christians around the world are trying to decide what to give up for the 40 days leading up to Easter.

http://annistonstar.com/bookmark/17649936-21st-century-Lent-This-year’s-sacrifices-include-Walmart-Facebook-clutter

No comments: