Monday, March 26, 2012

Operation Toasty Toes chapter marks 10 years


From North Carolina-

Patricia Lee-Pirog's voice trembles and she chokes back a tear as she gives a tour of the simple yet invaluable treasures her group will send to America's armed forces overseas — and photos of those who are enjoying them.

“Look at their faces opening the boxes,” Pirog, pointing to one of several photo collages. said Sunday before adding, “As you can imagine, this is very emotional.”

Pirog is the chairwoman for the local chapter of Operation Toasty Toes, a national volunteer program that supplies knitted and crocheted comfort items to U.S. troops. On Sunday, her group hosted its 10th anniversary celebration in the community building at St. John in the Wilderness Episcopal Church.

“A lot of people think I do it because I have children in the service, and I don't,” Pirog said. “I was brought up for God, family, country. When I found out about the program and I know how to knit and crochet ... I realized I found my real niche, and this is what I had to do. It's my way of giving back to our country, and the troops have to know there are people at home who care about them.”

More here-

http://www.blueridgenow.com/article/20120326/ARTICLES/120329845/1042/news?Title=Operation-Toasty-Toes-chapter-marks-10-years

No comments: