Tuesday, February 5, 2013

The Theology of Ray Lewis

From Huffington-

Whenever anyone asks me whether God has a hand in the outcome of sporting events, I have a ready answer. I point to the three little league baseball seasons I coached with a fellow Episcopal priest: We never had a winning season. Granted we weren't exactly down on our knees in the dugout or teaching our players the proper way to cross themselves in the batter's box. But you'd think God would have at least sent one power hitter our way or blessed us with an outfielder who could actually track fly balls.

There's been a lot of talk about God's role in sports the past few weeks. Sports Illustrated even ran a cover story with the headline "Does God Care Who Wins the Super Bowl?" featuring a picture of Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis emerging from a body of water with his hands clasped in prayer.

Now, for the sake of full disclosure, I should tell you I'm originally from Baltimore. I am a passionate, life-long Orioles fan and a huge Ravens fan. As I write this the morning after the Super Bowl, I'm reveling in last night's events while drinking coffee at my favorite coffee shop while wearing my Ray Lewis jersey.

It's no secret Lewis is a polarizing figure: As a young man he was put on trial in connection with a double murder following Super Bowl XXXIV in Atlanta. He was cleared but charged with misdemeanor obstruction of justice. For some, that connection, regardless of the fuzzy circumstances and outcome of the trial, has forever vilified Lewis. Like most Baltimoreans, I believe he's done an admirable job of turning his life around and have seen first-hand the impact he's had in that city through charity work and inspiring a generation of underprivileged young boys and girls. I also love his passion for the game of football, admire his leadership skills and feel privileged to have seen the best linebacker of his era play both live and on television.


More here-

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rev-tim-schenck/the-theology-of-ray-lewis_b_2617107.html

No comments: