Saturday, March 16, 2013

Why I have quit Catholicism to become an Episcopalian

From The Guardian-

The Catholic Church has a new pope, but for the first time in my life, he won't be mine.

When Pope Benedict XVI abruptly resigned last month, I made an enormous personal decision. I decided the time had come to change religions and leave Catholicism behind.

I was born and raised a Roman Catholic in England. When I say "raised", I mean baptized, then enrolled in a Catholic nursery school, which led to a Catholic elementary school and then a convent boarding school where, at the age of 11, I was sent for seven years. Like every other Catholic, I made my first confession and communion and was confirmed. At school, I prayed formally every day and attended mass at least weekly until I left at 18.

Some people are believers, others aren't. Some see light breaking through clouds onto a body of water and think "beauty", others think "God". I've always been in the God category. I'm a believer. I can't help it. It's just who I am.

I was happy at school. I was lucky to be educated by nuns who were intelligent, well-educated, compassionate and engaged in the world. They were good role models. A few years ago, they left the shady lawns of privileged private schoolgirls and went to work among much needier people. Their lives are now harder but richer. I know this because I am still in touch with them – 30 years later.


More here-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/mar/15/why-i-quit-catholicism-become-episcopalian

No comments: