Sunday, January 19, 2014

Brentwood man, 99, baptised and confirmed

From England-

Norman Machin, of Brentwood, Essex, is a parishioner at the Anglican church St Thomas of Canterbury in the town.

Mr Machin, who believes he was not baptised as a child because of World War One, said: "I've been thinking about this for a year or two."

Father Colin Hewitt said Mr Machin was the oldest person he had seen being confirmed and added that conducting the ceremony had been "very humbling".

'Feel relieved'
He added: "It was a great joy and is very moving that a person of 99 was there in the confirmation classes and asking questions that taxed my mind."

Mr Machin said: "I've been seeing these people confirmed and baptised and I've thought in years gone by my parents did not baptise me because the war was on.

"We've had these little sessions towards confirmation. Most of it I knew.

"I feel more relieved in being confirmed."

Mr Machin's godparents are the entire congregation present at the baptism mass.


More here-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-25759217

No comments: