Tuesday, June 10, 2014

House of Deputies president’s opening remarks at Executive Council

From ENS-

Not too long ago, I had an alarming moment when I opened a book to read an essay by my friend and former colleague Dr. Matthew Sheep. The book is What We Shall Become: The Future and Structure of the Episcopal Church, edited by former council member and Deputy Winnie Varghese and published last fall by Church Publishing, Inc. I’m honored to have an essay in it along with Bishop Katharine, Susan Snook, and other people you may know from your work in the wider church.

The experience was alarming not because of the book, which is excellent, or Matthew’s essay, which is insightful. It was alarming because the further I read, the more it became clear that his project was to explore the “discourse” of the restructuring of the Episcopal Church by doing what my English professor used to call a “close reading” of Bishop Katharine’s and my remarks to the first meeting of the Task Force to Reimagine the Episcopal Church in February of 2013.


More here-

http://episcopaldigitalnetwork.com/ens/2014/06/10/house-of-deputies-presidents-opening-remarks-at-executive-council/

No comments: