Monday, March 13, 2017

Preaching and discipleship

From Seven Whole Days-

Last week, I was honored to serve as moderator for an Episcopal Church Foundation (ECF) webinar on preaching and leadership. Basically, I hosted a conversation among three preachers and fed them some questions of my devising and some from our audience. The panelists were the Rev. Ronald Byrd, rector of St. Katherine’s in Williamston, MI; the Rev. Brenda Husson, rector of St. James, Madison Avenue in NYC; and Mr. Brendan O’Sullivan-Hale, layperson from All Saints’, Indianapolis, IN.

I’d encourage you to watch the webinar, which will be an hour well spent if you’re at all interested in preaching. Much of the focus is on sermon preparation and delivery, but there is also some valuable advice for those who listen to sermons. I know I’ll listen to preachers differently because of this conversation.


My hope is that you’ll find Ron, Brenda, and Brendan as helpful as I did. Because I was moderating, I didn’t say much in the conversation on preaching, so I wanted to share a few thoughts of my own for preachers. I say this not imagining that I’m a great preacher, but hoping I can at least claim to be competent on a good day. Your homiletical mileage may vary.

This isn’t exhaustive, by any means. These are thoughts I’m having on a Saturday night when I don’t have to get up the next morning and preach. I wanted to post this tonight, so it doesn’t seem like a rant based on the sermon I’ll hear tomorrow!


More here-

http://www.sevenwholedays.org/2017/03/11/preaching-and-discipleship/

No comments: