Sunday, October 15, 2017

The forgotten Christians of Nigeria -- faithful while enduring incredible persecution

From Fox News-


“Don’t go.  I swore I would never go back there,” came the voice of my friend Jay Smith on a trans-Atlantic Skype call.  “I’ve been in over sixty countries.  I’ve been all over Africa.  I lived there, and I’ve never felt unsafe the way I did in that country.  There is something especially terrifying about that place.”

“Good to know,” I replied.  “Alan said that he goes there all the time.  He said he even takes his children.”


Alan was a British politician who had recently attended one of my lectures in London.  To hear him tell it, Nigeria was like Club Med.

“Alan?”  Jay was incredulous.  “Did Alan also tell you that when he goes he’s traveling with the British government and is accompanied by heavily armed guards?  You?  You’re going to have an entirely different experience.”

This was my introduction to Nigeria. Jay’s opinion was not acquired from Trip Advisor.  He had been there more than once.  During a 2008 visit, he spent nine hours hiding in the wheel well of a car while a mob went up and down a blocked highway looking for Westerners to victimize. Nigeria was, in his view, unique to the African experience.  It wasn’t that terrible things didn’t happen in other countries; it was the sheer magnitude of them in Nigeria. Even other Africans are afraid of Nigeria and its well-earned terrifying reputation.


More here-

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/10/15/forgotten-christians-nigeria-faithful-while-enduring-incredible-persecution.html

No comments: