Wednesday, January 17, 2018

PUBLIC OFFICE AS A SPIRITUAL DISCIPLINE

From Comment-

When I first ran for governor seven years ago, my wife and I agreed on one thing: we both felt like I was called to run for governor. However, as she gently reminded me throughout the campaign, the election would determine whether I was called to actually be governor. Now, as I begin the last year of my second term as governor, I agree with John Senior who writes in his book, A Theology of Political Vocation: Christian Life and Public Office, that a new view of the theology of political vocation is not only possible, but also critical, as we live out our faith in a morally ambiguous political world.

Senior aptly describes the process, difficulty, and benefit of being called "in" and called "to" a political vocation. The process of being elected is part of being called in, and the difficulties arise immediately. For me, campaigning brought challenges that I had never anticipated. While the meek might inherit the earth, what do they do on the campaign trail? As believers we are instructed to "do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves" (Philippians 2:3). Yet a campaign is primarily about saying, "I'm the one. Elect me and I can solve these problems." The challenges continue once you are in office. The issues are rarely as clear as they seem, and those issues are discussed in a media environment that is changing faster than anyone imagined. Today's social-media-driven world has no editors to check validity and rewards taking the low road while it punishes anyone choosing to defend against the crowd.


More here-

https://www.cardus.ca/comment/article/5171/public-office-as-a-spiritual-discipline/

No comments: