Thursday, September 27, 2018

Another Pastor Ended His Life: A Reflection on Pastoring

From Every Thought Captive-

A long-term member of our church approached me just before service this week with a serious look on his face. Every pastor has had that moment. Service is about to begin, what is this about? He has never done this before, so I honestly didn’t have a sense of what was on his mind.

He proceeded to ask if I knew a particular pastor in Denver – there was a connection between us and some mutual friends. I didn’t, but he pastored a good church. He then told me that years ago the pastor had been in an accident, and ever since had battled depression. I got a sinking feeling about what he was going to tell me.

Sure enough, the pastor committed suicide last week. It is the second incident like this I have heard of in the last 3 weeks.

What came next was one of those moments that pastors have too few of. He then told me, “It seems to me that most pastors go along doing a really good job, but only hear the criticism and negative things.” I told him that this is often the case. He continued, “I just want to tell you that I think you are doing a great job.”

More here-

https://philsteiger.wordpress.com/2018/09/17/another-pastor-ended-his-life-a-reflection-on-pastoring/

No comments: